Saturday 1 September 2012

September er pujo pujo rob



‘Neel akashe ke bhashaley shaada megher bhela re bhai lukochurir khela…’

One of my favorite songs I am humming today as I sip chai in the balcony. The song is such a fit today! It has been raining for the last few days. Gloomy and depressing, I have been missing my family and hubby. But today morning when I opened my eyes expecting another bout of depression, I was in for a pleasant surprise! The sky was clear and blue with specks of white fluffy clouds sailing around. The sun shone brilliantly, birds chirping around, it was far away from the pall of gloom that had descended on us. I could see little boys with bags strapped on their small back trudging off to school, men returning from the bazaar with bags laden with groceries, Manik, the fish seller shouting out loud and clear ‘ei bochorer shesh ilish aro kom damey’ (this year’s last stock of hilsa at a much lesser price). Oh my God! Everyone seems to be so happy and gay. This is a cheerful day indeed! 

And yes, why not? The gloomy monsoons have bade farewell to us, the umbrellas and raincoats have gone back to the closet, its hot but bearable, you can do away with the sleeveless tops and kurtis, no mud or muck around and there’s Kaashful all around! 

Yes Kaashful, those long white flowers billowing in the breeze. The first sight of Kaashful would always send us into a tizzy, as it meant Durga Puja was around the corner. Yes the flowers have blossomed finally! 

The countdown has already started in Kolkata. Roads and lanes blocked by pandals mushrooming everywhere, Gariahat clogged with traffic and eager shoppers, huge hoardings displaying the Puja theme for this year, bill boards announcing pre-puja sale, plans for a long vacation, long lists of gifts to be bought for all, repeated trials at the tailor, cajoling and pleading the dressmakers to fit in another order, short-listing restaurants for eating out, inviting relatives for a visit, buying new furnishings for Durga Puja and the list seems endless.

Another 50 days away… Durga Puja is in the air. Oh, how much I love being in Kolkata at this time of the year!

Wish all my readers a great time in preparing for the Puja ahead! 




No comments:

Post a Comment