Wednesday 8 August 2012

The 'Bangali' behind the Bangla Calendar


I am a proud Bengali…a wife…and a mother. 

Observing happenings around me and penning them down has always been my favorite time-pass. I remember buying a tiny pocket diary with my first pocket money. A relative had given me Rs 20 for my piggy bank. My first pocket money and I was all excited.Ma took me to the shop and told me to buy whatever I wanted with that money. She was surprised when I told her that I wanted to visit the stationery shop. I still remember her expression when I bought that little green-cover diary. I think she was pleased that I did not spend it on candies or anything else. That was the beginning of my ‘musings'.
I would write down names of people that struck me…qualities about my friends….quarrels with my siblings…quotes from a letter written to me by my gran…! Thankfully my professional front today involves extensive research and documentation.

Why a blog...

My first job was in Delhi. Hearing my surname, people exclaimed ‘oh you are a bong..I so want to visit Kolkata during the Durga Puja’! It happens wherever I go. Bengalis today are synonymous with Durga Puja. And that is where it ends. Well there’s more to Bengalis than just a Durga Puja. 
My niece, born and brought up in the US knows very little about our tradition and culture. My sister and brother-in-law have tried their best to inculcate in her the typical ‘Bangali’ ethos and culture. But tell me how much can you imbibe about a culture staying on foreign lands! I remember chatting with her, telling her about Rathyatra. Well, it took me quite some time to describe a Ratha, the idol Jagannath Dev and the stories around the festival. She loved the mythological stories, esp. the anecdotes that I had for her.  
It then struck me that these traditions and festivals which we follow today might be lost forever if we do not document them…if we do not get the younger readers to read them. Some customs and traditions have already died when my paternal grandma passed away. Lack of time, tedious customs, unavailability of ingredients, rising prices, lack of support at home, westernization are some of the many reasons that have attributed to it. Maybe a blog that documents these traditions, customs, norms, folkways and festivals might help us all in remaining attuned with our culture of ‘Bangaliyana’. It’s a MAYBE. But no harm trying it, right?

Now why a Bangla Calendar...

Every traditional Bengali household has a Ponjika, which is nothing but a detailed calendar complete with dates, events and festivals. The first thing in the morning that a conventional Bengali does besides their morning ablutions is check the panji/ponjika for the tithi, astrological predictions for the day, details whether it is a purnima/amavasya, whether it’s safe to venture out etc . A Ponjika is a MUST for a decent, traditional Bengali household. 
My date of joining for my first job was decided not by my employer but by the Ponjika….the day I met my future husband for the first time was not decided by us, nor by the in-laws but by the Ponjika again! At times I feel that the Ponjika is my long lost great grandmother silently dictating every activity and event in the house. 
Looking up the ponjika is also an art. My younger sister after her marriage to a Tam Bram (Tamil Brahmin) suddenly felt a surge of love for everything Bengali and ordered a Ponjika to be couriered to her. Well, Ma gets a call after the delivery of the consignment. I can’t help but write down the conversation for you-

 

Sis: ‘Ma I ordered a Pun---jeee------kah’. (Hope you get the Anglicized pronunciation of pon-jee-kaa)
Ma: ‘Baba couriered it day before yesterday, you should have got it by now’.
Sis: ‘Yeah, I just got something from baba. A pinkish booklet.  But where is the punjeekah?
Ma: (after a moment’s silence). ‘otai to. That is the ponjika’.
Sis:  (a longer silence). ‘ohh…accha. But it’s in Bengali. Accha ma, tell me what to make of it. Boishakh….ekadoshi….diba …surjasto…what is all this for? (And she goes on trying her best to pronounce them)
Well, both ma and sis gave up in the end. Ma promised to give her a crash course the next time she is home. 
I have a ponjika at home just like a good Bengali homemaker and have over the years with guidance from Ma, Gran and Mother-in-law have mastered the art of reading a ponjika. But what about Bengalis like my sister who have shown an interest but are unable to decipher it. 
I thought why not a blog which would be a kind of a calendar depicting various customs and traditions of a Bengali. It would be in a way a modern Ponjika for the modern Bengali informing as well as orienting them.

As a blogger..

Sorry I do not have much idea about blogging. Do try to understand and sympathize that am still learning the ropes of blogging. I am not happy with the template….the design. But please bear with me...
Well the calendar has to move on…meanwhile let me spend some time researching on  design and templates.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading more and learning about my culture!

    -Gubs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure would try my level best to live up to your expectation. Thanks

      Delete